Girls, like boys, can be anything they want to be. Sadly, some people still pressurize them to fit into narrow molds and hinder the belief that every girl can make her own decisions and lead a happy, fulfilling life.
We believe that it is our responsibility as parents to nurture our daughters to become the strong, confident individuals that they are. There are many ways to achieve this, but perhaps the easiest one is to introduce them to positive role models in both literature and real life.
Following our own advice, we’ve taken the liberty to compile a list of excellent storybook apps that feature terrific female characters. We thought long and hard about what makes these characters great role models for girls (and boys, really) and came up with these qualities:
- Brave: these girls are not completely without fears, but they are able to face them and do what they have to do.
- Inquisitive: they are curious about the world around them and are willing to expand their knowledge.
- Confident: some girls may start off doubting themselves, but eventually learn to grow comfortable in their own skins. They follow their hearts to become the people they want to be instead of accepting the stereotypes projected unto them.
- Intelligent: these girls use their heads to solve any problem that comes their way.
- Independent: these girls make reasonable decisions and take actions on their own behalf.
- Kind: above all, these girls are kind, generous souls. They are quick to help those in need and do not judge others by their appearances.
We think we speak for every parent when we say these are the qualities we want to see in our daughters (and sons!)
One thing to note: although these apps star female characters, they actually have universal appeal. Every app has been reviewed and handpicked by us, so you can be assured of their quality.
As always, we’re open for comments and suggestions. If you know an app that should be on this list but isn’t, do let us know on Facebook or Twitter. You are also welcome to share the list with other parents using the share buttons at the end of the post.
Now, without further ado: presenting our list of handpicked Children’s Books with Strong Female Characters. Enjoy!